Thursday, July 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend, 2010

This year we went to a friend's cabin across the bay for Memorial Day Weekend. It was a great getaway for us as a family. My favorite part was that we were "unplugged" for 48 hours. Matt and I turned off our cell phones except to check for messages once a day. (I think Matt cheated and checked baseball scores one other time.) Without a TV or computer, the boys played games and doodled. Riley learned to play Cribbage and Chris learned to play Boggle. They also finished a Scrabble game with us for the first time ever.


It was very interesting to see how the boys responded to being away from civilization. When Karl dropped us off at the cabin and pulled away, the boys got a little anxious. Riley was most worried about running out of water. Chris expressed generalized anxiety for the first time in his life. We were making S'mores around a fire the first night when he said "I have a worried kind of feeling." After asking some questions, I figured out he was worried about us being all alone with no other people around. He seemed to feel better after I reassured him that Karl and other friends who lived in Halibut Cove were only a phone call and a short boat ride away.


We hiked, dug for mussels, played on the beach and looked for bear tracks. Early Sunday morning Matt saw a porcupine on the deck and captured it on film so the rest of us could see the video later. On Monday morning we were blessed with a bear sighting. We watched from the deck of the cabin as he made his way across the beach and up into the woods. The rest of the day the boys made rafts out of reeds and floated them down a little stream. Maya was a little trooper as usual, going along with the adventure. Since she didn't understand what going across the bay to a cabin meant, I had told her we were going camping. So when we arrived at the cabin she took one look around and said "This isn't camping!" She had a super cute name for the cabin and now I can't remember what it was. That's what happens when you blog a month late.

" Timbers" is the name of the cabin.

Our first dinner at the cabin.

Making S'mores

Maya loves marshmallows.


Chris and Mom

The porcupine

Making rafts

Playing in the bear's sand box

Bear prints

And here it is!











2 comments:

thecurryseven said...

OK, I did have to chuckle a bit at the idea of your going out into the wild. Compared to where we live, you already live out in the wilderness. :-)

On another note, I can't believe how big Maya is. I just finished putting together a photo album of our Vietnam trip (yes, it took me two years). I have been looking at quite a few pictures of little, little Maya and K. I want to go back!

e

Annette said...

Sounds like lots of fun!

I would have been a little nervous too....OK, I would have been very nervous. I'm a city girl! :-)